During the first year to two years of business, your new business is growing rapidly. You know what you want to do, have a good idea of who you want to serve, and know your “why.”
But, you have so much growing to do during this time that it doesn’t make sense yet to invest in premium brand strategy and implementation yet. Right now is a good time to focus on the main foundation pieces that will be consistent through your growing phases.
Why It’s Hard in this Phase
As an emerging brand, you’re still fine-tuning your core offers, niche, ideal clients, and overall brand and buyer journeys. You have a vision, but you’re most likely not even thinking about what that vision’s true potential actually is. There have been too many logistical things to focus on so far. But, that doesn’t mean branding should be ignored or put off.
During this phase, business owners typically…
Get Lost in the Pieces
It can be frustrating and time-consuming trying to do all the little day-to-day tasks it takes to keep a business running. Business owners usually get so preoccupied with the little things, they don’t see the big picture.
Invest in the Wrong Things
Debt can quickly add up when business owners are desperate to figure out what works quickly or buy things they don’t really need, like courses, programs, tech, or memberships.
Hold Themselves Back
Entrepreneurs who have been habituated to the corporate or employee mindset usually have trouble infusing their own personality and unique traits into their brand.
Branding Is Critical
Many emerging entrepreneurs erroneously assume branding is about having a logo, colors, fonts, and a website. This misconception prolongs brand development and puts the business at risk for failure.
Risks of Not Branding Appropriately
- Poor or negative perceptions of the brand from audience
- Low or no brand awareness
- Compromised brand integrity
- Lack of trust from audience
- Confusion about the brand’s core character and purpose
Here are some stats to show you how important brand strategy is:
- 49% Of consumers say that their brand loyal starts with the very first impression. That means you have to have a solid brand identity right from the beginning.
- 90% Of consumers expect a brand’s content to be consistent across all platforms and mediums. In order to be consistent, you have to have a clearly defined brand as your guidepost.
- The average increase in revenue resulting from consistent branding is 23%. So, if you’re not focusing on aligning a defined brand, you’re leaving money on the table.
There Are Key Benefits to Establishing Your Brand
You DON’T need a huge budget and you DON’T need to have every detail of your business worked out to start developing it.
Benefits To Early Brand Strategy
- ESTABLISH– credibility and integrity
- GARNER– respect and trust
- RAISE AWARENESS– of your brand and grow your audience
- COMMAND HIGHER RATES by having a more credible brand
- ENCOURAGE– brand loyalty with highly strategized client experiences
- DEFINE- what your core brand character is
- ALIGN- across platforms and mediums for consistency
- CONNECT- to your ideal clients and customers
DEFINE YOUR BRAND
Develop your core brand personality and character elements to use as guidance for all of your visual and voice assets.
Values. What are the values most important to you as an entrepreneur? Which do you want to be associated with in your service-based business?
Voice. The voice is the “what”- it’s the character of your brand. What is the voice that should consistently come through in all of your messaging?
Tone. The tone is the “how”- it’s the attitude your voice comes through with, depending on the situation and intended outcome. What kind of tone reflects your personality and values?
Story. What’s the Story You Can Tell?
How does your journey into entrepreneurship and your “why” connect to those of your target market? How can you build a bridge between you with your story?
Promise. What is your brand philosophy? What do you hold true about your vision, purpose, or ideal clients? How can you use that philosophy to make an unbreakable promise to your dream clients that will help them trust and grow loyal to you?
Brand Experience. Ultimately, the experience you offer your audience, clients, and customers is what will built loyalty amongst them and get them to eventually become passionate brand ambassadors. They’ll share their experiences with others and rave about you to those who may need your help. What kind of red carpet experience can you provide?
Niche. Who Do You Want to Work With? Finding a niche that both fulfills your passion and is profitable is important to building a sustainable brand.
- Do They Have Funding?
Make sure you pick a niche that can easily afford your rates.
- Do you care?
Is the niche aligned with your defined values? Do you feel invested or interested in this particular industry?
- Do they need and value you?
Is this a niche where people typically value the services you offer and need your services?
Your chosen niche to find out what they struggle with, what’s important to them, what would be the ultimate relief, and what they value
Go out and talk to your ideal clients and find out what’s on their minds. Ask smart questions. LISTEN, don’t talk.
Make Use of the Efforts
Make use of your research efforts by finding commonalities between your ideal clients and you. Weave those commonalities into your brand. Reflect what’s important to your ideal clients and customers back to them and make the connection to build brand loyalty.
Need a Plan?
Grab the Emerging Brand Blueprint and outline your core brand elements now so you can start to get amazing clarity in your branding, attract the right clients, gain brand awareness, and start to grow a following.
Get Clarity Now…
Solutions for Emerging Brands
- Download the Emerging Brand Blueprint– a 20 page guide that helps you focus your efforts where they need to be focused, not on the little pieces.
- Brand Clarity Sessions- these are hour-long strategy sessions that will give you tremendous clarity on how to develop your brand from where you are now and where you want to be. For details about everything included, see the services page.
- Free Facebook Group- The Brandividuation™ Project